Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Homes

Righetti House 125 W. Park Row Avenue, Built 1918

Designated January 21, 1980

Righetti House

This late Queen Anne period house with elements of Classical Revival was constructed in 1918 for Daniel J. Righetti, who owned a shop on Main Street offering billiards, cigars, tobacco and confections. The Righettis were a pioneer Italian family in Ventura and lived in the house until 1922. In 1923 Dr. Julius Bianchi, a prominent local physician who served as a U.S. envoy to Guatemala from 1920 to 1922, purchased the home and had his practice there for three years. He became president of the Ventura County Medical Society in 1926. On January 24, 1947, Mr. Sidney Houghton had the house moved from its original Main Street location along Valdez Alley near the Mission to its current location on Park Row Avenue. Architecturally, the house is important as one of the relatively few unaltered examples of the late Queen Anne period remaining in Ventura. Queen Anne elements include a tower, gables and bay. Classical Revival can be seen in the large, sweeping, curved porch with its classical columns. The house serves as an important visual landmark for the Avenue Area.