Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Homes

Mc Coskey Love House, 119 S. Figueroa Street

(Parrish restored to office building)

Built 1903 Designated July 17, 1989

c Coskey Love House

Ada McCoskey Love was the widow of prominent Ventura physician, J. H. Love. Dr. Love moved to Ventura in 1891 and was a major figure in the community until his death in 1906. Ada’s house, built in 1903, uniquely combines elements of the Italianate period with later Victorian influences. The two-story, wood clapboard house has large pediments over the front porch and front second story windows, with applied decoration in the front door pediment. The second story has wide eaves with decorative supports.

This house was originally located at the corner of Chestnut and Santa Clara and moved once before being placed, along with the Elwell House (Landmark #61), at the current location next to the Peirano Residence (Landmark #33). All three houses were restored by attorney Donald J. Parrish for adaptive reuse as offices.