Ventura Landmark Homes

Ventura Landmark Home

Blackstock House 835 E. Main Street

Built 1896, Designated September 15, 1980

Blackstock House

The Blackstock House, thought to be the work of architect Charles Russell, was the home of James Blackstock, Main Street businessman and proprietor of the Central Cash and Meat Market and the Union Ice Co. from 1916 to 1926.  The house was constructed in 1901 on the site of what is now the Ventura City Hall on Poli Street (originally built as the Ventura County Courthouse), and was moved ten years later to its present site on Main Street, a prestigious address in early Ventura.  The house remained in the Blackstock Family until 1944.

The Blackstock House marks a stylistic transition from the Queen Anne mode of Victorian design period which was ending at the turn of the century, to the Classical or Colonial revivals which swept the nation from about 1880 to 1950.  The square tower of the Blackstock House, with its pointed peak (hipped roof), distinctly echoes the Victorian style.  The Classical or Colonial details can be seen in the modillions (flat brackets under the eaves) that support the eaves, the elaborate frieze details above the second floor window, the articulation of the two stories with different classical orders and the triangular pediment above the portico.

Blackstock House 02